Zarafa 6.04 / 6.20 on CentOS 5.2 with Plesk 8.6 Set-up guide

posted in Guides on September 18th, 2008

Part 9 - getting iCal ready:

1. open the Plesk control panel in your browser
  2. in the menu on the left side, click Server, then click Certificates
  3. select the correct SSL certificate from the listing and open it
  4. locally, create a new file with your favorite plaintext editor, call it privkey.pem
  5. open said file, then open the Plesk control panel again
  6. copy the data of the Private key into cert.pem, everything including:
    -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY----- to -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
  7. save privkey.pem and close your editor
  8. locally, create a new file with your favorite plaintext editor, call it cert.pem
  9. open said file, then open the Plesk control panel again
  10. copy the data of the Certificate into cert.pem, everything including:
    -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- to -----END CERTIFICATE-----
  11. save cert.pem and close your editor
  12. using your favorite (s)FTP editor, upload both privkey.pem and cert.pem to:
    /etc/zarafa/ssl
  13. create an iCal configuration file by typing:
    cp /usr/share/zarafa/example.ical.cfg /etc/zarafa/ical.cfg
  14. open /etc/zarafa/ical.cfg with an editor like you normally do, e.g.:
    nano /etc/zarafa/ical.cfg
  15. look for server_bind and enter the (dedicated) IP of domain.com as a value
  16. look for ical_enable and enter no as a value if you want to disable unsecure HTTP connections
  17. look for icals_enable and enter yes as a value
  18. look for icals_port and enter 8844 as a value
  19. look for ssl_private_key_file and enter /etc/zarafa/ssl/privkey.pem as a value
  20. look for ssl_certificate_file and enter /etc/zarafa/ssl/cert.pem as a value
  21. save the file and close the editor
  22. start the iCal gateway by typing:
    service zarafa-ical start

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

12 Responses to 'Zarafa 6.04 / 6.20 on CentOS 5.2 with Plesk 8.6 Set-up guide'

1. Brian said, on October 4th, 2008 at 5:26 pm

This is an excellent tutorial. Two questions–what if I did the install with 6.2 instead of 6.04 then upgrade? Second, have you attempted to run this in multi-company mode to give more of your domains access to the installation? I’m thinking about trying to deploy this to multiple customers I have running.

Brian

2. Kerim Satirli said, on October 5th, 2008 at 9:57 am

Thanks Brian.

I gave 6.2 a try on my homeserver and the install was, basically, the same - the only difference being that the config files had a few more items in there (for multicompany support) and I also needed to update the key and alter my start-up scripts.

I have not yet attempted to run Zarafa in multi-company mode, but I will give it a try soonish (within 2 weeks, I guess), I’ll post my experiences here.

3. Bart said, on October 31st, 2008 at 7:58 am

Hi,

Great guide, however When it comes to the MAPI, I have a problem.

I get the following error:

Not Found: MAPI include files not found

However, there is no mention in ur documents about this. How did you over come this problem since the mapi.so.0.0.0 is not compatible with PHP 5.2.6 (Yet, im using 5.1.6)

Thanks
    B

4. Kerim Satirli said, on October 31st, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Hi Bart,

the problem with mapi.so.0.0.0 can be solved by following Step 7 of the guide.

5. Alex said, on October 31st, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Hi Kerim,

your how to inspired me to set up the Zarafa 6.20 from source on my Plesk 8.6 based on openSuSE 10.3.

So far I am quite impressed, especially by the active sync component z-push adds to it. But as long as no real CalDAV implementation is there and I found out how to work on ldap for my vCards this is not going to replace mobile.me for me :-)

But one question do I have - what did you do about IMAP and port 143? Do you still run imapd from Plesk ? In my case I would only move 5 email accounts (basically my family) towards zarafa when the time has come, but the other users on my server should stay on their original Plesk setup.

Kind regars,
    Alex

6. Kerim Satirli said, on November 1st, 2008 at 10:39 am

Alex,

thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

CalDAV will eventually come, of that I am sure, but for now, you are correct: mobileMe might be better suited for your needs.

I personally only sync via ActiveSync, so Zarafa works perfectly for me, that and the fact that I’d rather host my own data as opposed to having it up in the cloud.

That said, to answer your actual question: I do not use Zarafa’s gateway functions and keep email within Plesk.

I do however, modify how Qmail handles emails. See here for more information.

7. Bart said, on November 3rd, 2008 at 1:27 am

Thanks Kerim,

My problem was that Plesk had the domain name CHROOT’d so it was not able to use the MAPI files located in /usr/share/php/mapi/. To overcome this, I had to add the following file:

/var/www/vhosts/domain.com/conf/vhost.conf

Then add the following into the file:

Options +FollowSymLinks
    php_admin_value open_basedir “/var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs:/etc/zarafa/webaccess-ajax:/tmp:/usr/lib/php/modules:/usr/share/php/mapi/”

Once the above was added all working.

Hope that helps others.

Cheers
    Bart

8. grim_reaper said, on February 5th, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Hi!

Great toturial.
    I already managed to set up a zarafa installation on Plesk 8.6 und OpenSuse 10.3

I’m currently trying the same thing with Plesk 9 and encountered a small Problem.
    Zarafa is running perfectly. And some small troubles with MAPI the webaccess is now running too. But after log in, the webaccess only shows a blank white page.

I don’t get any errors in my apache log and I’m kind of stuck now.
    Since the same also happens with z-push I can’t sync my mobiles which is very frustrating.

Maybe you have an idea!

9. Kerim Satirli said, on February 11th, 2009 at 11:32 am

grim_reaper,

The most important thing to do is to check your error_log inside Plesk, it should tell you at least a tiny bit of what is going on and what is going wrong.

The white page reeks of a PHP error (probably permissions) so double-check that first.

Good luck!

10. Mark said, on August 27th, 2009 at 10:15 am

Hello,

I have Plesk 9.2.2 with CentOS 5.2: I would like to know if I can use this installation method to install Zarafa, please.

Once installed, if I will update Plesk to another future version I will need to apply again these instructions? (each time I will update Plesk panel with a newer version).

Many thanks!
    Best Regards
    Mark

11. Kerim Satirli said, on September 22nd, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Mark,

apologies for my late response.

Yes, you can use this guide to install Zarafa on the new Plesk. While I did not install Zarafa from scratch, I used this guide to update it to the latest version and it all went flawlessly.

When you update Plesk, you wont need to update Zarafa or follow all instructions (in fact, I have never had to change anything inside Zarafa after a Plesk update) but if you have to, these instructions will help you.

12. Robert Carrier said, on November 26th, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I would like some direct assistance with installing zarafa on my centos5/plesk virtual dedicated server. while you guide is detailed, this type of install is over my head. Please contact me art the email address included.